Gaea Retreat Center
Code of Conduct
This policy to everyone present at Gaea, for any purpose. Please read and familiarize yourself with your rights, and your responsibilities when on the land.
We are committed to providing a positive and trouble-free experience for all, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, age, theological perspective, or relationship status (polyamory, monogamy, singleness). We do not tolerate unacceptable behavior in any form. Anyone violating these rules may be expelled as appropriate, at the discretion of the Earth Rising Board of Directors or Caretakers.
This policy will be reviewed annually, by the members of the Board of Earth Rising, and we reserve the right to update it without warning when appropriate.
All individuals on the property are expected to follow these rules at all times.
This document covers unacceptable behavior whether within or outside the law.
Unacceptable behavior includes:
- Verbal harassment, especially when it reinforces social structures of domination related to gender, gender identity, and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, theological perspective, relationship status (polyamory, monogamy, singleness).
- Deliberate intimidation, bullying and or stalking, and any other behavior which is likely to cause alarm or distress to a reasonable person.
- Photography or recording without written consent.
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events (including through intoxication of alcohol and/or drugs).
- Inappropriate or unwanted physical contact, this includes any form of physical touch. Always seek consent when initiating any physical contact with another person..
- Unwelcome sexual or other personal attention.
- Theft or extortion including by deception.
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior.
If anyone is asked to cease unacceptable behavior it is expected that they will comply immediately.
Organizers will take any actions reasonably necessary to maintain a welcoming environment for all participants. This may include warning the person who is acting in breach of this policy and, in appropriate cases, requiring them to leave the venue without a refund or the imposition of stipulations for future attendance.
Activities, Talks, And Workshops
Any activities, talks, workshops, or rituals will have adequate disclosure as to their content. It will also be made clear that people are not required to attend and may leave activities, talks, workshops, or rituals which make them uncomfortable at any time. No one should ever feel pressured into participating, attending or staying.
Incidents and Reporting
If you witness any infraction of this policy:
- If you feel comfortable, consider informing the person or persons responsible that you would like them to stop. Always consider the safety of yourself and the people around you. Aggressive confrontation is not endorsed.
- If you do not feel comfortable, observe the people who are blatantly breaking the rules and contact safety, caretakers, organizers, or board members to address the issue.
- You can contact the caretakers by going to their cabin or by using the radio that will be outside their door. You can let board members know what is going on if they are present at camp. At ERI festivals you can contact safety by going to the Safety Tent or finding any Safety Volunteer.
- When taking a personal report, efforts may be made to seek permission to involve other relevant staff from the event or organization to ensure the report is managed properly. Reports are handled as respectfully and discreetly as possible but may, under some circumstances, be required by law to be disclosed.
- Please contact law enforcement if you feel it is necessary, or if requested, safety, caretakers, or organizers will assist with contacting the police or local support services where appropriate.
Violations of this code reduce the value of Gaea for everyone. We want your experience of Gaea to be positive. We value participation in our events and appreciate all efforts to provide a safe and friendly space for all.